The CHART Exchange Magazine recently had the opportunity to interview one of our newest Agency members – Joseph J. Wheeler, Jr. Esq. Mr. Wheeler is the Owner of Northwestern Risk, and the Managing Partner of The Wheeler Firm.
1. IN YOUR OWN WORDS, CAN YOU DESCRIBE HOW YOU CAME TO BE AN AGENCY OWNER?
I’ve always had the entrepreneur mindset so I always knew I wanted to own an agency rather than just be a Producer or an Agent. I spent half a year in London working with a Lloyd’s of London brokerage, and after that relocated to the Northwest part of US where I live now. When I made that move to the Northwest I used it as a transition to start anew, open up shop and to start to offer niche products that would benefit small business owners like myself.
2. WHAT ATTRACTS YOU TO PROGRAM BUSINESS? WHAT KIND OF SPECIALIST ARE YOU?
Program Business is really for the insurance nerds. And I say that because when you are in that sector, and you write specialty programs, or have specialty business, you understand insurance on a different level than most others who just write business. The attraction to program business is knowing that the extra care and knowledge is necessary to understand the nuances. We specialize in small business insurance, specifically cyber liability for main street USA.
3. IF YOU HAVE A PROGRAM AND YOU’RE LOOKING FOR PRODUCERS, PLEASE DESCRIBE IT.
Yes! Our Cyber Optimization Program is currently accepting new agency appointments nationwide. We offer a comprehensive cyber liability policy that can be added on to any BOP for a fraction of the cost of other market cyber alternatives. Our policy price is directly tied to revenue, and is truly designed for the small business owner. For $500 bucks for the year small business owners will have coverage up to $1,000,000 for cyber breaches that hurt their businesses.
4. WHAT DREW YOU TO CHART EXCHANGE? WHAT PURPOSE DOES IT SERVE YOU?
I’ve kept an eye on CHART since inception, making sure to get the emails and newsletters. When CHART first launched, I thought to myself, finally, an association that ties US insurance to the London market! It serves to connect MGA’s, brokers, wholesalers and others in the high end insurance world to the London risk takers who write the business and want to continue to write business, sign me up!
5. IF YOU HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH OTHER INSURANCE ASSOCIATIONS – WHAT DIFFERENTIATES CHART FROM THEM?
I do, but really haven’t felt a close kinship with the other members of those associations. I haven’t been part of an association at this niche scale that really fosters to the type of agency owner I am, and strive to be. I look forward to the connections.
6. WHAT DO YOU CONSIDER CRITICAL TO YOUR SUCCESS? ANY ADVICE YOU CAN BESTOW TO OTHER AGENCIES? Showing up. Half of the battle is taking the last phone call, staying late, answering an email from your cell phone. Being there and available is crucial to success. Taking the phone calls you do not want to take will make you a better business person. The advice I will give is to take risks, and do not be afraid to let others know who you are and what you want. You will never know what opportunity exists, if you do not go for it.
For more information on Northwestern Risk, and The Wheeler Firm and the insurance products offered, contact Joseph Wheeler at joe@thewheelerfirm. com. Mr. Wheeler can also be reached by phone at 888-705- 6775, extension 1.
Mr. Wheeler is an insurance & business specialist. In 2010, Mr. Wheeler started his law school career at Southwestern Law School in Los Angeles where he received numerous accolades including a CALI Award for Administrative Law. Mr. Wheeler transferred to Seattle University School of Law for his penultimate year and graduated in December 2013, cum laude.
With combined insurance and business knowledge, specialty and skill, Mr. Wheeler hopes to serve the vast business marketplace. Whether a small business owner looking to expand, an entrepreneur opening shop for the first time, or an insurance enterprise looking to expand their portfolio, Mr. Wheeler brings to the table a wealth of knowledge and know how to help serve clients.